Thursday, March 11, 2010

Words of my Wisdom: From My Soap Box


3 MEALS A DAY VS. 5-6 SMALLER MEALS
You choose what's best for you

Yep, sounds like we are all a little hungry and learning how to eat within a normal calorie range. See how easy it is to get off course.

If eating smaller meals or having snacks in between meals helps, DO IT! But make smart choices.

Hear are some things that I've learned and STILL WORKING ON that may help you too.

1) Don't eat to light in the morning, especially if that is when you workout. You'll set yourself up for overeating later. Once you allow yourself to eat again you may overindulge because you've waited to long to eat. And eating heavy at night isn't ideal.

A good rule of thumb is to eat every three to four hours.

2) Have a healthy snack if you feel like it, you don't want your blood sugar to drop too low because that zaps all your energy and we all need as much energy as we can squeeze out of our bodies.

3)Think about what your snack is...make the choice and call it good. I can't tell you how many times that I went for an afternoon snack and continued to eat until dinner time...I may not even eat dinner because I'm so full or maybe it was too yummy to pass up. Seriously, I know why I look the way I do. NOT GOOD my friends.

4)DO NOT THINK THAT EATING COOKIES, CAKE, YOU PICK THE POISON IS EATING A MEAL. AHHH! That one rubs me the wrong way. The reason we have such a hard time fitting in our fruits, veggies, whole grains, dairy, and protein into a small calorie range is because we fill it with so much other stuff. It's amazing how easy even the good whole grain carbs add up.

I'm not saying don't have a treat or that you'll never have treats again!!!!! But, make sure you are eating a healthy meal and make it a small addition, not the meal. Don't skip a meal so you can have a treat later either!!!! If you know you're going some place that will be serving dessert have smaller but healthy meals throughout the day that allow you to only go over your calorie range by a small amount or not at all. I'm talking something that you can fix with a little extra exercise or cutting back a little more again the next day.

Don't fall off the wagon from one mistake and don't get back on!!!!

Ok! I'll stop. Sorry


5 comments:

  1. No Sorry allowed. These are things we all need to hear, otherwise we wouldn't be doing the challenge. Thank you, oh great motivator!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smack! Smack! Thanks I needed that....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay. this comment has nothing to do with you posting but everything to do with you blog name. Everytime I look at the name I start singing it to the song from the Indian Bride and Prejudice movie. The song tune that comes to mind is "No Life without Wife", particularly the chorus. Just a random thought, one of many that I have hourly.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61lE_8YNnCI

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always had to watch my blood sugar level. I would get "testie"...even Bob would say "I think we need to go get something to eat". That's pretty bad, but the smaller meals and good snacks really help.

    ReplyDelete