Friday, April 9, 2010

Eating Out


1. When I know I'm going out to eat, I try to check the menu on-line first so that I can think about the food I might order instead of hastily choosing something I know I like, but that may not be good for me.

2. I've become excited about food and cooking again, reading my Cooking Light cookbook for ideas and really thinking about the taste of a dish and how no-cal spices could enhance the taste.

3. I've realized that eating healthfully makes those around you who aren't eating healthfully uncomfortable. That's been an interesting realization because I never really thought about peer pressure and food going hand-in-hand, but they totally do. I was recently at a restaurant and noticed that when I went to the bathroom (because of our good friend, water), a bunch of deep fried appetizers suddenly made their way onto my plate. I suspect fellow diners might feel sorry for me; they might be thinking that I don't get to enjoy what they're enjoying, but, interestingly, I am enjoying my meal and don't feel deprived.

4. I stock my mini-van with boxed raisins, pretzel sticks and raw almonds, so that I won't be tempted by on-the-go treats at Target, desserty samples at the grocery store or candy at the check outs.

4 comments:

  1. Oh boy, has number 3 been a problem at my house! I think people feel like I'm judging their food choices, because they are constantly giving me justifications.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with number 3 too. It is a frustrating situation. I think people do it a lot subconsciosly. I need to start putting snacks in my car. That's one of the things I'm working on. I sometimes think I don't need any snacks while I am out because I'll be home in time, but it doesn't always happen that way and then I am starving by the time I get home. I tend to make bad choices when I'm starving. Thanks for the ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I am out driving is the WORST time for me. Because I live in the middle of nowhere, a trip to Walmart means over two hours in the car. In the past I've just snacked the entire time because it keeps me awake, so now I find it very challenging not to stuff food in my face the entire time. I have switched from candy bars, chips and Chex Mix to carrots, apples and yogurt, so that is a huge improvement for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh I like the idea of having your car stocked with healthy snacks. I know I tend to over eat when I am starving and my errands always seem to last longer than I planned. Thanks for the ideas.

    ReplyDelete