Wednesday, March 17, 2010

One minute of sheer torture


I've been taking an exercise class twice a week at my local rec center for a few months now. It begins and ends with the single hardest exercise I've ever done: the plank. The plank involves holding a push up position for a set time period, on your elbows, hands flat on the floor, knees up (the hardest). At first I could only do 20 seconds. But now I can hold the plank without touching my knees down for the entire minute (only the one at the beginning of class, mind you; my gut can't stand the heat by the end). How many seconds can you hold the plank?

My 5 year old, Hugo, is not doing the plank correctly. Thought this would make you smile.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, Jillian Michaels is real big on the plank so I've become better at it. I think on the first workout I could only hold it for about 15 seconds, but now I've worked up to doing walking planks (alternating from hands to elbows while keeping the knees up). It's a great core exercise.

    Tell Hugo to drop that bootie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did a boot camp last summer and the plank was a staple. At first a few seconds was all I could do at the end I held the plank for 3 minutes. You have inspired me to set a goal to get back to where I was.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hugo and do the plank the same way, we must be related.....oh, we are! Love that boy!

    ReplyDelete