Friday, July 2, 2010

Whole Wheat Pancake Recipe

Several months ago I was talking with my sister-in-law when she told me she had started making pancakes for her family every morning for breakfast instead of having cereal. She explained that the cost of cereal was starting to add up and she was able to save a bit more each month just by making this change. I will admit at first I thought she was crazy and I wondered how she had time to make pancakes every morning so I put the thought aside for a few months until I came across this pancake recipe. I thought it sounded healthier than many of the cereals we were eating (even many of the "healthy"ones have quite a bit of sugar) and who doesn't want to save a bit of money every month, right? So, I decided to make the mix and give it a try for a week. The results were fantastic. The kids and hubby loved the pancakes and it really doesn't take as much time as I worried it would. Unfortunately this hasn't eliminate my need to buy cereal (we still use it as snacks for church and an occasional breakfast) but it has drastically cut down the amount we buy.

We have been having pancakes for breakfast now for about 3 months and I still love them every morning. I have mine with a little butter and applesauce on top but they are good enough to eat plain too.

The picture of the pancakes I posted has a funny story to it and shows just how much my kids like these pancakes. Ethan, my 3 year old, had finished his breakfast and gone off to play. I put two pancakes on my plate to eat when I finished cleaning up a few things. When I finished and went to eat my breakfast I found the cutest bite mark taken out of one of my pancakes. He liked them so much he came back for just one more bite. I was laughing out loud when I found it.

Okay, enough rave about these pancakes. (Can you tell I LOVE them?:-)) If you get the chance, try them yourself and see. Sorry Marci, I wish this was a Gluten free recipe:-(

Whole Wheat Pancake Mix

The Mix:
8 c. whole wheat flour (If you grind your own wheat, I grind 5 cups of wheat and it turns out about right)
1/2 c. sugar
4 tsp. salt
2 1/2 c. powdered milk
1 c. oil (the original recipe called for 2 c. but I found 1 was all that was necessary)
5 T. baking powder

Mix all dry ingredients, then add oil. Store in airtight container. Keep in refrigerator or freezer.

To use mix:
1 1/2 c. mix
3/4 c. water
1 egg

Beat egg and water, then add mix. Cook and serve.

One recipe makes about 8 batches and I figured out each batch has about 850 calories. I can usually get 10 4" pancakes out of a batch for 85 calories per pancake.

Recipe comes from "Bee Prepared" a Provident Living Resource

4 comments:

  1. Cammy,

    This post makes me smile. Pancakes are something special at our house because only Daddy makes them. =-) But, the other day we camped outside in our yard and Daddy had already gone to work by the time the campers woke up. Of course, you have to have pancakes when you go camping. So I suddenly "learned" how to make pancakes. Two kinds: Krusteaz for the kids and a healthier buckwheat mix for me. I added fresh strawberries and 2 tbsp of real maple syrup to mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cammy, I have some gluten free flour that I will use with this recipe. I can't wait to try it!! Thanks for sharing. Don't you just love little bites missing from your food?!? Do you know how long it stays good for in the refrigerator?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pancakes look a lot healthier than the ones I fixed for 3 of my grandsons two days ago. I went for ye old Krusteaz mix, lazy and in a hurry are my two excuses. I also gave them sausage with the Krusteaz pancakes, yep a totally unhealthy Mema meal. You're a good mom Cammy fixing healthy pancakes and only eating two, kind of two for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marci, I thought I remembered reading somewhere that it was good for at least 3 months in the fridge, but when I went back to check the recipe it didn't say anything about shelf life so I don't know where I got that info from. I'll keep looking and see what info I can find about it.

    ReplyDelete