Monday, June 28, 2010

Oklahoman Gratitude

After reading Jill's post on gratitude, I feel like the gratitude I'm feeling today, doesn't compare, but that's okay. I have a child with difficulties and understand the overwhelming joy and gratitude that can come with such a journey. But, I'm going to post this anyway.

We joined hundreds and hundreds of "supporters" (for lack of a better word) tonight. A young man from Owasso died in Afghanistan this past week from a suicide bomber. I have always had immense pride in our country and especially those who serve to protect our freedoms and constitution. If I see anyone in uniform, I always thank them. I am so grateful for the service they provide for me and my family. Today, I am grateful I live in Owasso (I usually am, but especially today). Westboro Baptist Church from Kansas(?) came down to protest the funeral. They are a strong hate group (I saw them on Dateline). It always infuriates (and I mean that in the strongest sense of the word) when protesters come to a funeral to protest. I don't care if you agree or disagree with whatever, but a funeral is the most inappropriate, disrespectful place to stage something. I was grateful that every scout troop in the Owasso/Tulsa area lined the streets with flags (including my son), that an entire parking lot was full of Patriot Guard Riders (motorcycle group), not one news channel showed any coverage of the protesters, that we had the opportunity to sit in our car for over half an hour to get out of the Walmart parking lot (where we parked), and that my community has so much love and pride for our country. I am grateful to live in America. I am grateful for those who protect this country and also give their service for the freedom of other countries. We are a great nation and I'm thankful to be part of it. Thank you to all those who are serving and have served our blessed nation!!

5 comments:

  1. What an amazing experience!! YES having pride in our Nation IS a wonderful thing to be grateful for! Thanks for the reminder, especially this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kernal Ken(Google)June 29, 2010 at 2:07 PM

    Dear Jenn,
    With Matt & Mindy currently visiting, I was directed to HWHL to read your post. Thanks for what you wrote!

    My brothers and sisters in uniform, both past and present, are also grateful for you and so many others who understand the service and sacrifice being made by so many members of YOUR armed services, families included.

    We are proud to know that standing behind us are those who were and are fully aware of the basic truth:

    **** Freedom is not free. ****

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for reminding us of the many, many men and women and families who serve us every day. They deserve the gratitude of our hearts and voices as often as possible .... but, yes, most especially when a funeral brings the cost of such service to our attention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a great reminder of how blessed we are to be part of this great nation. What a neat experience that must have been, to be able to stand up and show gratitude for those who have given their lives for us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great gratitude post Jenn! The families of the men and women who give theirs lives for our country deserve to mourn and bury their dead without hate and harassment from others. You should be proud of your town, I know I am.

    ReplyDelete