Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Channeling the weather



Today is the fourth day in a row that it's cold, gray and rainy outside. The grass is green and lush and the bushes have perked up again. It definitely feels like fall. But I tend to internalize the weather over time. So that, by day four, I feel gray and rainy too. And I'm convinced, after four such days, that either I have a very mild case of seasonal affective disorder or I'm reliving the same day over and over again a la Groundhog Day.

I'm also convinced, after a bit of online reading, that I'm probably not getting enough Vitamin D through direct sunlight exposure.

Lastly, I tend to crave sugary, oven-to-mouth baked goods on days like today. I'm going to have to tap into my super resistance powers today; I can tell.

P.S. This may be the year I invest in my own little piece of sun (electric sun light), so that I can channel surf on days like today.

7 comments:

  1. I agree. I find when it gets dark, I tend to want to shut down. I want to just stop and read a good book, go to bed, and not get that project finished. Light certainly makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love rainy days, even four in a row but then I'm a bit weird like that. Hope the sun comes out soon Apis so you can enjoy the fall season outdoors instead through the window. Skip the baked goods and make a healthy soup instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Resistive Powers Activate!

    I love rainy days too, but after about a week, I tire of them. Last summer we had 26 rainy days (all day) in a row!! That's a great suggestion from the Queen Vee, a nice, hearty, healthy soup...maybe I'll make one this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man that is tough. It's been overcast here in Utah, but not tons of rain. I'm looking forward to my walk with my mom tonight even if it's in the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've welcomed the rain we've had the last week or so but it has put a cramp in my bike riding. I'm having to re-motivate myself to get to the gym and I'd rather just stay in my pj's all day, read a book and sip hot chocolate. I say skip the baked goods and just drink tea or hot chocolate and go for a short walk if it's not raining. That should cure your desire for baking. But it's never bad to take a good R&R day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm an odd bird. I tend to like staying indoors, and hiss at the sun like a vampire when I go outside. Although, I do love temperate fall days, and the beauty of gardening in the spring. I love digging in the dirt! The thing I love about rain and snow, is being snuggled inside and feeling happy that I don't have to go outside and deal with it. Although, I do have to say I'm looking forward to snow season with my husband's family in Star Valley this year. I'm going to be able to wear a real snowsuit, because I'll actually be able to buy one that fits!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Becky, I love the vampire analogy. I have to say when in the winter when it's dark at 4:30 I tend to already have my PJ's on.

    ReplyDelete