Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Vertigo


I have spent the past several days battling vertigo. I cannot drive and exercising is hit or miss as is eating. I went to the doctor on Monday and afterward wish I hadn't because she basically told me to continue what I was doing and wait it out. Oh, and she said if it isn't gone by Thursday I am supposed to call back and she will start me on physical therapy. Seriously!?! I honestly think it is due to sinusitis and that antibiotics would get rid of it. I had something similar 5 years ago and after going through a huge rigmarole of vestibular testing and an MRI they discovered sinusitis. Would have been a heck of a lot cheaper had they just tried antibiotics first.

I must admit as annoying and frustrating as this is I have certainly been blessed. My sweet sister came down on Monday to be my chauffeur and babysitter, my hubby was super helpful in tidying up the house Monday night so it wasn't a total disaster and my sister-in-law called and insisted on bringing in dinner for my family tonight. I don't know how I would be doing without all the help that is for sure.

Anyone else ever had vertigo? How did you get rid of it?

7 comments:

  1. Cammy! Are you ok? I have never had vertigo, but it sounds awful. I wonder if antibiotics really would help? If your gut instinct says it's sinusitis, it probably is. Maybe you march back in there and insist on a course on antibiotics, using your history of infections and vertigo as your evidence behind your suggestion. Anyway, keep us posted. I hope you start feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish Mindy would get on and read this. She is suffering from the same thing but it may have more to do with transatlantic flight while sleeping. I hope that you can get it figured out. I can't imagine what I'd do if I had it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i had vertigo due to a bad reaction with a medication awhile back but thankfully it slowly went away after a couple weeks. im so sorry that you are suffering with it, urgh the memories i have were horrible and no one should have to deal with these symptoms :( please feel better soon xoxo <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cammy I hope the vertigo passes quickly as that feeling is no fun. I'm happy to read you have such a great support group via family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. CAMMY! Weird, I'm experiencing vertigo too! But I think yours is more severe. Mostly mine occurs when I lay down and roll over on my right side (which, surprisingly, happens a lot when you're exercising.) It also happens when I'm getting up and down, and occasionally when I'm running. Only when I lay down is it true vertigo, other times it's more like lightheaded-ness. Doc says it might be "benign positonal vertigo." I have another appointment next week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mindy, That is weird that we would both have it at the same time. Even stranger that we seem to have it opposite from each other. If I lay down or sit still I am fine but any head movement sends the room spinning. I feel for you, to have it while lying down would be really hard. Does it go away after a while or are you basically spinning all night? I hope they are able to get it figured out because it is just miserable. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Sending a hug your way and hoping and praying they get things figured out quick.

    As for me today was fantastic. I felt great and I was able to drive which was a good thing because being St. Patrick's Day it was a busy performance day for my daughter. (No, I didn't perform today, because I don't feel quite ready for that yet, but maybe in few months.)

    I can't say I am out of the woods yet as far as the vertigo goes though because I felt great most of Tuesday too only to have it come back with a vengeance on Wednesday. Guess I better hurry off to bed and get a good night sleep to increase my chances of a good day tomorrow, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cammy, this probably isn't all that helpful since it deals with rare cases, but who knows, if the vertigo goes on long enough, it may come in handy. Every once in a while I catch Mystery Diagnosis on the Discovery Channel, and there have been some interesting cases dealing with dizziness and vertigo. I couldn't find the one I remembered right off the bat, but maybe you could track down an episode list, and focus on the ones that talk about dizziness.

    ReplyDelete