Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Roasted Butternut Squash

I LOVE Butternut Squash Soup! I found this recipe and tried it yesterday. I think it might be a new favorite!

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

1 medium butternut Squash
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
4 cups of chicken stock (I used chicken broth. Is that the same thing?)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Peel, seed, and chop butternut squash into a 1 inch dice.
Toss squash and onions with olive oil, salt and pepper.
Pop into a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes or until the veggies are tender and golden brown. Transfer veggies into a large pot and add in chicken stock. Simmer for about 30 minutes and then allow the soup to cool down a bit. Pour soup into a blender and blend until you have a nice, smooth soup. Return to pot, gently heat and adjust the seasonings. Enjoy topped with a tbsp of roasted pumpkin seeds!

Nutritional Analysis
Calories: 160; Total Fat: 3.6g; Saturated Fat: .5g; Cholesterol:10 mg; Carbohydrate: 30g; Dietary Fiber: 1.1g; Sugars: 6.8g; Protein: 4.4g

So there were only a couple things that I would change about this recipe: I am not an overpowering onion fan, so I only used half. It was really good, but I think next time I will use the whole thing like the recipe says. It seemed like to much, but once it cooks, it shrivels to nothing. I also don't think I will use as much liquid. My soup came out to be more of a drink, and I like my butternut soup to be more creamy. I think I'll start out with less liquid and just add more to my blender if I need it. All in all: VERY YUMMY! I have had this soup made with lots of cream, and I will admit, if you've had it that way, of course cream makes everything taste better. But, for a healthy soup option, this is a winner. So there you go Marci, something you can do with a Butternut Squash! Does anyone know a good recipe for a Acorn Squash? I have a couple of those sitting around, and not sure what to do with it yet!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks or the recipe and great suggestions Alicia, I'm going to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm sounds yummy. I am so cold lately that soup always sounds good. This would make a great lunch, maybe tomorrow after grocery shopping. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Butternut squash soup...yum-my! Way to try something new!

    ReplyDelete