Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Super foods




I just love the super food lists that pop up in magazines and on the internet. I always peruse them and nod in agreement with those items I've already got built into my regular grocery routine, then ponder the possibilities of the more exotic or, to me, unusual ones. To mix things up a little in my day-to-day routine, I've decided I'm going to have a super food day some time this week just to see how it will make me feel. {Will I feel super after eating all 10 in one day, I wonder?}

I'm choosing to use the super food list found here on Web M.D.. But there are lots of good ones out there including one from Oprah here and another Aussie list here that mentions the research study explaining why each item was chosen.

But the one I'll be using has the following ten:

1. low fat or fat free yogurt
2. eggs
3. nuts
4. kiwis {no can do, I'm allergic, will replace with grapefruit}
5. quinoa
6. beans
7. salmon
8. broccoli
9. sweet potatoes
10. berries

If you're feeling like being fashionably kooky with me, find yourself a top ten list, make a quick stop at the grocery store and let me know how it goes.

6 comments:

  1. Melissa this is such a fun idea! I think I might have to try this. Can't wait to hear how you super food day goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course it was a dead give away with the pictures who this post was from. You are a girl with a mission... I love it.

    Here is something I read recently. We hear a lot about super foods. Particularly those that help fight cancer. They are now finding that maybe these foods don't really help fight cancer...however, eating these foods do tend to help people make healthier choices, so eating them is a good thing.

    I'm trying a new quinoa recipe today. I'll post if it's any good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun! I love your idea, I am excited to look at the sites you posted. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously, I want to know specifically what google search words you used to come up with those pics. Amazing again!

    Hmmm... super foods. I'm on track with that. I will have to have a "super-food" day this session.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Becky, the words were "food and fashion."

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like a wonderfully balanced list. I love that idea. I know I feel so much better when I stick to wholesome eating.

    ReplyDelete