Monday, December 13, 2010

Small, but mighty


I've thought about this quite a bit, hoping to write about some miracle kitchen gadget that would have you all transfixed. But, fact is, my little kitchen secret is indeed little and unassuming: the humble 1/2 cup prep bowl. It's all about portion control. I can plop anything in there and know that I've got 1/2 a cup and that that's plenty big to satisfy my appetite. Most often these get used for fruit, yogurt, dry cereal, crackers and nuts (I only fill it half way for nuts). By putting the snack item in a little bowl immediately, I avoid reaching in the box for just one more handful.

If you ever come across more stylish half cup prep bowls on the internet, let me know.

7 comments:

  1. I love it! Such a great idea. I don't have any, and although I love the idea, I've always thought I just don't need that kind of thing for food prep. But now I'm re-thinking that, perfect portion control! I may have to get myself a set for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need some of these although 1/2 cup never leaves me satisfied. I always want more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, the size of your dish is definitely key to portion control. I always use the smallest dish possible, within reason, when serving myself food. It definitely helps cut corners and take a few calories out throughout the day just by using a smaller container. Great tip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are these sold anywhere? I need some! What a great idea!!
    Thanks for the gift :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found these at the dollar store (3 for a dollar). Honestly they were the only thing I found in the store that didn't seem like junk. I was about to get a couple sets then decided last minute not to. Now I am wishing I had because they might not be there when I go back. We can hope, right? I love simple gadgets, thanks for sharing Melissa.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jill, Cammy - I love the various sizes of basic white Corelle you can get at Wal-Mart. I have several of each of their small bowls, which I think the smallest might be just about 1/3 to 1/2 cup. I love the Berry Bowl, too, which is about 1 cup, and just right for a healthy-portion size of cereal.

    ReplyDelete