Saturday, July 10, 2010

Wheat Banana Bread Light

I like experimenting with recipes, so tonight I played around with my classic Banana Bread recipe. I took it from about 82 calories and 3.4g of fat per 1 oz. slice to 62 calories and 2g of fat per 1 oz. slice. The main goal was to make it more healthy with more fiber, with less overall fat, close to 0 saturated fat, 0 cholesterol, and overall less calories. Here's what I came up with:

1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup unsweetened (also called no-sugar-added) applesauce
1-1/4 cup sugar
6 egg whites
1/4 cup skim milk
2 cups mashed ripe bananas
2 cups whole wheat flour
1-1/4 cup white flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix all the wet ingredients (including the sugar), then stir in the dry ingredients. Pour into 2 bread loaf pans, lightly sprayed with baking spray. Bake at 350 for 48 to 50 minutes. I live at a high altitude, somewhere around 7000 feet, and I'm not sure about what adjustments you'd have to make for lower altitudes, maybe 1/4 cup less flour?

Anyway, this is a lightly sweetened recipe. It has wheat flour, which seems to counter-balance the original sweet flavor of the original recipe, and it has 1/4 cup less sugar. You'll have to try it out and see what you think. This recipe is easy to cut in half, so start off making one loaf as a test run to test it against your own personal taste buds. You may want to add another 1/4 cup sugar, which will make it 65 calories per 1 oz. serving. My teenage daughter didn't think much of the wheat flavor, but the little kids and I liked it fine. It's also wonderful with a little Smart Balance Light spread.

3 comments:

  1. Oh goody, another banana bread recipe, thanks Becky I think I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a bunch of ripe bananas, I'm totally going to try this recipe tomorrow. Yum! How thick are the slices (from a 9" bread pan, I presume?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, about a 3/4-1" thick slice from a 9-1/4"x5-1/4" bread pan (looking down at it from the top), is about 3oz, so that would be 188 calories.

    Chick, you are sooooo getting a set of digital scales for your birthday.

    ReplyDelete