Thursday, November 11, 2010

Face your challenges HEAD ON!

My nephew is at a 6 week wilderness "camp" in Arizona. He is living on lentils and rice and whatever he finds... this week he and his small group went out with a knife and a blanket. I can't wait to hear how it went.
He actually asked for the chance to do this. What an awesome kid to realize his needs and ASK for help. He has amazing parents who jumped at the chance to help him AND themselves.


I have thought a lot about what he is going through and about facing our challenges. My sister wrote this  in one of her letters to him:
" Overcoming our weaknesses is what refines us. Facing challenges head on makes us stronger. Making mistakes and then correcting them provides depth of character. This is why we are here. It is a life time journey, taking one day at a time to become more like the Savior so we can one day be worthy of his presence. It’s a lifetime journey, a test. Every time we obey, we are given a little more. With every correct choice and leap of faith, we are blessed with more faith and greater joy. But we have to take that leap first.

I often think of Laman and Lemuel and how they had many of the same powerful spiritual experiences as their brother Nephi!  But what happened? Thinking of this has really helped me; it provides the incredible example of what a difference the little things make. The little everyday choices we makeI believe the main difference between Nephi and his brothers….is what they did in between these powerful spiritual experiences.
 Powerful spiritual moments are a great gift from God and can provide us with spiritual strength. But these alone, are not enough, we have to show effort, faith, and most importantly willingness to obey. This sustain us."

We may be sore and tired. We may want to eat that 2nd helping. We may want to give up but is it what we REALLY want? It is doing these things when we DON'T WANT TO that will make ALL the difference!

What we do daily will determine where we end up. Don't think of more than just today, what are you going to do TODAY? We can do ANYTHING for just a day right?! :)

Here's to a great DAY!

6 comments:

  1. Jill, I love this post! Just what I needed to hear right now. I was thinking of skipping my work out tonight, but now and thanks to you, I won't. I'm gonna go up stairs, get my Taekwondo clothes on and run out the door. Bye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had read this at the beginning of the day or course that would have been impossible because it wasn't posted till this afternoon. I'm really struggling getting my exercise in, have been since September. Too many trips disrupted my routine and now too many little Halloween candy bars have disrupted my calorie counting. Tomorrow is a new day and I'm heading to the gym early. It's time to revamp, make good choices and use my time more efficiently. Thanks Jill for this timely and inspiring post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. Goes back to if we do it a step at a time it is easy to do ...but also easy not to do so we must make a choice. It's all about choices. Thanks for the GOOD encouragement. HERE"S TO GOOD CHOICES.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jill beautiful post and fantastic reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, great post! I hope you will write again and tell us more about your nephew's experiences at wilderness camp. Sounds amazing, life-changing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just saw this Jilly, made me cry. i love you so much.

    ReplyDelete