Tuesday, June 15, 2010

411 on Jicama


There has been a lot of talk about Jicama lately. I love this vegetable but I've never cooked with it myself. I have a hard time finding it. But, I've been saving this recipe since the summer of 2006 and I'm determined to use it.

What is it?
Jicama (HEE-kah-mah) is a root vegetable native to Central and South America. Beneath its papery skin is a crisp, sweet white flesh that is 85 to 90 percent water. Also known as a "Mexican potato," its flavor is often described as a cross between a potato and an apple.

What to look for.
They can weigh anywhere from one to six pounds. Look for jicamas that are firm with smooth skin that is free of bruises. Avoid any that are soft, wrinkled, or moldy.

How to use it.
Jicama is very versatile. It is often used raw in salads or as a snack; it can also be steamed, baked, broiled, mashed, or fried. Store, uncovered in a cool dry place for up to two weeks. Wait to peel until just before using.

Here is the recipe that I'm determined to use because it is very similar to how I've eaten it before.

Jicama Slaw
1 1/2 pounds jicama (1 medium size), julienned
1/2 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
coarse salt and ground pepper

In a medium bowl, place jicama, onion, cilantro, and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper; toss gently to combine. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate, up to 6 hours.

1 comment:

  1. That's my lunch tomorrow . . . I've got all those ingredients! Thanks Audrey! 90 % water??? I didn't know I was drinking a cool tall glass!

    ReplyDelete